This is a question I’ve been asking myself for months, do I choose a pen name? So far this has been a tough subject for a few reasons.
- My first and last name are another authors name
- My first and middle name are taken from another author
- I don’t hate my last name, but it doesn’t excite me either
- I’ve had a few different ideas for pen names and been told they don’t fit
- When I get married next June, I will be officially changing my last name anyway
So you can see my dilemma! For now, I’m using the name JR Wallace but it doesn’t excite me. I personally don’t like the way it sounds but maybe I’m being too harsh. Since I have nothing published, this isn’t official and I could change it.
From what I’ve read, pen names aren’t copyrighted but obviously it’s a poor choice to chose a name someone else has. The last thing I’d want is to be accused of ripping off another author.
I’d really love to hear your thoughts on this and your experiences. Do you use a pen name or your real name? How did you come up with your pen name? Any thoughts for creating one?